Home Forums CalendarBudget Support Transferring between accounts

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

I’ve been using CalendarBudget for almost a year and a half, and I’ve come to rely on it as our main cash flow tool.

My question is around transferring between accounts.  We actually have three accounts that we use day-to-day; a main joint account, and two personal accounts that my husband and I each use for paying off our joint credit cards, and any other expenses that we don’t want the other person to see – like buying birthday gifts for each other!

I set up three accounts on CalendarBudget to represent the three accounts, but quickly got frustrated with having to enter any transfer between the accounts twice; so, I’ve gone back to just using the one account.  However, this can get challenging too, since we may have enough cash at any one time, but I have check by hand to make sure it’s in the right account for the payments that are coming up.

Any ideas or advice for me on ways to easily use multiple accounts on CalendarBudget?

• Anonymous

I could use a similar feature as I have been using a third account to represent our credit card which we use for the majority of our purchases as well as auto-debiting our cable, phone, etc. bills and then we pay off at the end of each month.  Transferring between calendar budget accounts would provide an increase in utility and make more sense in terms of helping keep track of those events. 

• Eric Poulin
      Keymaster

We have an upcoming feature which will allow this operation more easily. 
      There will probably be a checkbox on the entry dialog allowing you to make this entry a “transfer” and then it will automatically double entry in the current account and the target account.

A number of people have asked for this feature, so it will be in the next round of updates, probably in the next 2-3 weeks.

• kirsten
      Participant

I saw the feature after I’d posted… that might finally teach me to read everything before I dive into posting!  ;D

• Eric Poulin
      Keymaster

Some discussion about Transfers ran off in the “Categories in Multiple Accounts” thread.  Here’s the conclusion:

First, I’m going to make Categories a single instance, global set of categories (not different categories for each account). 
      Then, I’ll complete the account transfer feature.  Once categories are global, transferring will make more sense since the target account transaction will be in the same category, and report across accounts will be much simpler.

I’m targeting end of next week to do all of this. (fingers crossed)

• Eric Poulin
      Keymaster

Coding the transfer feature is taking a little longer than expected.  It may roll over to next week to ensure its well tested before we release it.

• Eric Poulin
      Keymaster

We’re planning to release inter-account transfers later tonight, unless testing finds a major problem.
      We decided to make transfer a transaction type.  So, if you have more than 1 account created in CalendarBudget, you’ll be able to choose from Deposit, Withdrawal, or Transfer.

• Obelix
      Participant

Text error on the drop down to select accounts when doing a transfer.  I have a “Money Market” account.  It shows up as a “Money%20Market” account.  Maybe your literal read of the account name field needs a tweek.  It looks like you handle a 2 word option in the “Category” drop list with no problem.

• Eric Poulin
      Keymaster

Thats an easy fix.  We didn’t test with any 2 word accounts.
      I’ll fix that tomorrow.

• Eric Poulin
      Keymaster

Fixed.  Thanks for pointing that out.

Viewing 9 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.