- squashParticipantJune 3, 2009 at 11:42 pmPost count: 5
Hello I wanted to know if it would be possible to implement split transactions. What I mean is outlined below.
Let’s say I payed $100 for my credit card bill. $50 was for gas for my car and $50 for dining out. Both of them are under the main transaction visa but are in different categories. Thanks.
- Eric PoulinKeymasterJune 4, 2009 at 2:26 amPost count: 374
This functionality used to be available in our account setup, but we just simplified it.
We intend to put this back in when we redesign our account setup.
I think, however, you are referring to bank reconciling — being able to split these transactions would indeed be useful.
I’m adding this to our upcoming feature list. Thanks for the suggestion.
- Eric PoulinKeymasterJune 8, 2009 at 1:40 amPost count: 374
Actually – we just reviewed your comment and think this maybe has nothing to do with imports from banks – just regular payment of visa bill.
I think if this is approached a different way you’ll find CalendarBudget already handles this very effectively.
The way this should be done is:
– Create a 2nd account for your Credit Card
– Track the individual purchases on your Credit Card on the day they happened – and to the appropriate category. These entries will now affect your category balances. You credit card account will now be in a negative balance, indicating that you owe money there.
– Then when you make a payment from Checking to Credit Card, the entry is a transfer (not withdraw or deposit). This transfer can be int he category of “banking” or whatever – it doesn’t matter since it will not affect your category balances since its a deposit and withdrawal for the same amount – just in different accounts.
-You may want to title the entry “Credit Card payment (shoes, cell phone)” or whatever to indicate what the payment was for, however the real indication will be the Credit Card account balance getting back to 0 or at least the items are being tracked correctly there. If you carry a balance you post the interest charges in your Credit Card account and the total balance owed will be correct.
- squashParticipantJune 11, 2009 at 6:59 pmPost count: 5
I just tried this out and it works perfectly. I just have the following question and suggestion.
I have a category for my non-monthly expenses which includes any transfers I make to my savings accounts. If I am doing the transfer to my savings I would like to see this amount deducted from this category. The reason for this is that I will have less money in this category to spend for leisure since some of it has been transferred to saving. In the current setup in calendar budget the amount is not deducted.
I am not sure this suggestion is feasible, but is there a way to add an option maybe a checkbox next to the category listing that we check if we want the amount deducted from the category balance or not.
I am sorry if I confused you with this post. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks.
- Eric PoulinKeymasterJune 11, 2009 at 7:24 pmPost count: 374
I think I understand.
To put it wiht another example – if I transfer money from my Checking account to Savings, you’d like to see the Savings category affected, even though you are just moving money from one account to another.
This is a good request. I’ll think about how best to do this, but I think its a good suggestion we should handle.
- squashParticipantJune 11, 2009 at 7:46 pmPost count: 5
Yes that is what I mean :) But it is not always the case that I want the category selected to be decreased as in the case of the visa example (to prevent double counting). Thank you very much for all your help.
- squashParticipantJuly 25, 2009 at 1:56 pmPost count: 5
I just wanted to know what you decided to do with regards to this issue? I have started creating some savings accounts and it would be usefull to have these categories. Thanks.
- Eric PoulinKeymasterJuly 25, 2009 at 3:55 pmPost count: 374
We’ve considered the idea and still think it has some validity, however, it complicates the interface for a case that will rarely be used.
We’re trying to keep CalendarBudget as simple as possible.
While we like this idea, we still have to figure out how to integrate it without confusing people who will never use this… and there are about 20 other development items which currently have a higher priority.
If we see someone else support this request it will jump higher in our queue. For now, I’d estimate this request to be about 4-5 months out unfortunately.
- Eric PoulinKeymasterJuly 31, 2009 at 1:00 amPost count: 374
I think we should complete the subcategory feature before this one you’re asking about.
Subcategories are down on our list. I’ll post our development schedule soon, so you’ll know where your requests stand.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.