AnonymousGuestFebruary 9, 2009 at 3:19 amPost count: 42
I am a new user to CalendarBudget, and I really like the concept of the site. However, as a former user of other financial software, I have a few suggestions to make the startup easier:
1. Allow the user the option to setup categories BEFORE importing an OFX file. From my past experiences with other financial management, I already have categories setup that I like to use. I had to go through and pick semi-relevant categories for each item, then go back and change the categories later. Either that, or have an “add new category” option during setup.
2. Have the option to enter either a starting balance or an ending balance. Almost no one is starting from scratch, so the account needs to start from somewhere. I flipped out thinking my account was negative before I realized my OFX import didn’t setup my account with a starting balance.
3. Allow import of OFX file for more than one account. I imported an OFX file for one account, and I wasn’t given the option to import one for another account. I have separate checking, savings and credit cards, all of which can export OFX files, but I was only able to import one.
4. Don’t assume that positive numbers are Income and negative numbers are expenses. For instance, if I return a shirt to Macys, that isn’t income from Macy’s, its just a negative expense. Its fine to have income and expense chosen by default, but don’t make it grayed out so I can’t change it.
These items, in addition to those suggested by other user, would make CalendarBudget much more useable.
Eric PoulinKeymasterFebruary 9, 2009 at 4:18 amPost count: 378
Thanks for your feedback. This is very helpful for our development plans.
1) Currently in CalendarBudget, you can create new categories on the fly during bank import. The category drop down has some default categories, but you can just type in the category field to create a new category. Apparently, that was not very clear.. we’ll work on making that more obvious. We plan to re-do the first time setup soon.
2) The import from OFX does create an entry for starting balance, but its not visible until you click finish – then its on the calendar. Note to self: need to put that starting balance entry on the import screen.
3) We are very close to being able to use the first time setup on any account created, not just as start CalendarBudget. Also, we are close to being able to import from OFX as part of regular updating – not just starting your account.
4) From the perspective of the account, that Macy’s return is still income… You’ll categories it in an expense category, but that transaction is still an income to the account. I think the concept of negative expenses, while I get it, can be confusing to people.
Feel free to comment further if you disagree with anything, or have more ideas.
vorearParticipantJuly 16, 2018 at 12:59 amPost count: 6
If you perform a new import and create your categories and click finish early, you can then finish customizing your categories and then restart that account. Restarting reuses the categories that you customized.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.