Home Forums Feature Wish List Future daily values

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

Hey I noticed I had a little trouble today seeing some of the future values that were positive.  They get grayed into the future.  I like that, except (pick one or more): I’m getting old, my eyesight is going, my screen resolution is too small, my browser window is too small, my screen colors are messed up.

So the short of it is some numbers are harder to read in gray.  What I was wondering is, since you have to redraw those cells on a mouse hover anyways(I would guess), why not redraw the daily values in a darker (almost black) gray.  The gist of the numbers now is easy to pick out in the future.  First color and then length is a big indicator.  If I want to know specifics I could hover the cell.  If,upon doing that, the daily numbers firm up it would work well I think.

I guess the alternative is to just darken those future positive daily numbers, altho I like the subtle split between the past/present and the future.

EDIT:  Ok, so I have realized this is the next month split I’m looking at.  I would still suggest making the daily values darken up when hovered over.

EDIT 2:  So what about the idea of some type of visual queue indicating days that have passed versus future days.  I see the faint shadow for today, but it’s really hard to pick out.  It might need to be darker or brighter.  The eye just seems to slide right over it by the time you fill the cells with colored entries.  Just an idea to try to salvage what started as a clueless post…

• Eric Poulin
      Keymaster

You’re hilarious.  :D
      We designed CalendarBudget to have days in the previous and next month slightly grayed to help highlight the current month, taking that the visual cue from Google Calendar and other calendaring programs. 
      I agree that the “today” indicator needs some work.  Even to me, its annoyingly not noticeable.  That should be a simple fix – I’ll get that in next weeks drop – along with Account Transfers.
      An alternative to graying out the entries themselves to to gray out the background of the day.  This will make the distinction between current month and not even more apparent, and should make the day contents more visible. I’d prefer not to change things onmouseover, since it makes at a glance viewing difficult.  Also, the mouseover calculation can get very expensive on your browser processing. 

• Eric Poulin
      Keymaster

How does this suit your fancy? (see attachment)

• Obelix
      Participant

That looks pretty good.  I can live with that.  You could still gray the daily value a little if you wanted to, to show continuity with the background graying, just not so gray as it was before.  Is that your planned TODAY color as well?

• Eric Poulin
      Keymaster

Yes, the idea was to change the TODAY indicator to a more distinct and obvious indicator.  It was barely noticeable before.  Now its very obvious, as are the previous and next months.

I’m thinking to leave the entry text itself (in previous and next months) as normal black(red) so they are readable.  If we gray the background *and* the entry, it will be harder to read.  The cell background gray should be indicator enough that something is different about those days.

Viewing 4 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.