- frugalcoconutParticipantDecember 21, 2008 at 5:58 amPost count: 18
I would like to see the individual daily entries’ numerical figures aligned to the right to correspond with the final day’s total … and the daily entries’ descriptions (e.g. “Paycheck” or “Mortgage”) to be aligned at the left. I believe this would make it easier to read and understand. Right now there is no standardized formatting … it would be great if it was consistent with the numbers on the right and the descriptions on the left. I would prefer that the numerical entries be aligned so that they would be in the same place regardless of whether there were parentheses or not … so that income and expenses would still be perfectly aligned.
- Eric PoulinKeymasterDecember 21, 2008 at 6:24 amPost count: 374
Interesting idea. It sounds great if we can overcome a few design issues.
1) If the entry name is longer than the width of the day cell, would you want the title cut off as it approached the amount?
2) Would you expect a “fixed” space for the amounts? Would it extend in to the thousands, or ten thousands? This could result is wasted space for long entry titles with small amounts. Or do you just want it right aligned, and let the entry name come right up against it, with a small space before for readability?
3) When you mouse over a cell will 1 entry that is really long, and we expand the cell – do you expect all of the amounts to right align to the far right? Short entries then become not very readable.
- frugalcoconutParticipantDecember 21, 2008 at 2:58 pmPost count: 18
1) If the entry name is longer than the width of the day cell, then YES … I would much rather that the TITLE got cut off as opposed to the AMOUNT which is what’s currently happening.
2) Amounts to be right aligned and let the entry name come right up against it, with a small space for readability.
3) When you mouse over a cell with an entry that is really long and the cell expands, yes I would expect that all of the amounts still align to the right in the same way except that obviously the titles wouldn’t be cut off. I think that the short entries would still be perfectly readable; however, if other people don’t feel that way, then my suggestions include a) putting a long elipsis (“………”) spanning between the title and amount for any entries that are shorter than the longest entry, b) separating each entry by faint lines above and below.
- Eric PoulinKeymasterDecember 21, 2008 at 9:03 pmPost count: 374
I agree with all of your suggestions.
Hey are you a visual designer? :)
- Eric PoulinKeymasterDecember 29, 2008 at 10:25 pmPost count: 374
Another good idea comes to fruition.
The alignment is now set as describe in this thread. Will be available on the CalendarBudget server later tonight.
- You must be logged in to reply to this topic.