Home Forums Frugal Ideas Selling the car and living without it.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • Author
      Participant

If, like me, you have a car that you are not using to go to work (I take the Train and subway in the morning) but rather only take it for groceries and family visits and such, then I might have an idea for you.

My car is a Ford Focus 2002, and because I had a bad credit when I rented it (16.25% interest on 4 years!) and I’m a “new” driver, my total costs just for the car and insurance is $330.00. Add to that the gas (around $80 a month) and various/varying maintenance costs, I guesstimate my total monthly cost of this car is just about $500.

That is, obviously, a lot of money to be throwing away on something I only use on the weekends, and I’ve been looking to sell the car at a price just high enough to cover the rest of the car loan and be done with it. But what would we now use for groceries and trips?

Quite simply, rental services like Budget and Enterprise offer vehicles that can cost around $50 for a 24-hour period with unlimited mileage. Enough for larger groceries, shopping, visiting parents, etc. Even with the cost of filling up the gas tank, a lot of money is to be saved. On alternate weekends, either smaller groceries or having things delivered (at what, $5?) makes this a very good way of saving money.

If you live in an area that does offer “proper” public transit systems that can take you to work in less than an hour (train is even better, just sit down, read a book or watch a movie on a DVD player or laptop… that’s the life!) then this is definitely something to consider to be cutting costs!

• Lambert
      Participant

Living without a vehicle might appear to be a pipe dream, but it is attainable. It can save you a good deal of cash and time that was once claimed by automotive upkeep, repair and waiting for tow trucks. Walking, bicycling and using public transportation are all ways to spend less.

• vorear
      Participant

You might also have the option of purchasing discounted or pre-tax payment for mass transit costs.
      I just wish my commute didn't take 2-3x longer using mass transit.

Viewing 2 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.