Home Forums Feature Wish List Icon layout is a mess … here are some easy fixes Reply To: Icon layout is a mess … here are some easy fixes

ValZho
Participant

That absolutely makes sense regarding the note, and it sounds like you made the right decision.

Man … making that completed left-clickable makes SO much sense; I would love that!

This totally isn’t a big deal, but maybe in that case consider switching it to a square instead of a circle since it is mimicking a checkbox and not a radio button in terms of functionality? Just an idea, but I think a case could be made for either.

———

I hesitate to bring this up, but I will throw it out there for your consideration…

This is just based off of how I use CalendarBudget (so it may not work for everyone), but to me, if something has been completed it should be disassociated from the series — just the same as if you were to change the amount on a single instance or drag an instance to another date. And if that’s the case, then the complete/incomplete and the recurring icons should occupy the same space. In other words, you have 3 mutually exclusive states: incomplete, incomplete recurring, and complete.

I discovered in making the mock-up for this thread that, as it is right now, you can mark a recurring item as complete/incomplete, and it still remains in the series, but that just feels wrong to me (maybe it’s just me?). Once a recurring item has been completed, shouldn’t its values be “frozen”? You don’t want to “edit all instances” on a recurring event and have it change the amount on an item in the past that has been marked as completed — that seems like it would wreak all kinds of havoc from an accounting perspective.

To summarize, IF you decided to make it so that completed items are removed from recurring series, then the icon for completed would reflect the recurring status as well, e.g., circle-arrow, empty circle/square, or check. In addition, if you also make the completed icon clickable, you would have to put some kind of pop-up warning on recurring items since it would be too easy (from a UX perspective) to accidentally disassociate them from the series, e.g., “Marking this item complete will remove it from the series; are you sure you want to do that?”

Anyway — thanks for all the work that has gone into CalendarBudget over the years. I can’t imagine what I would do without it at this point (probably build something like it for myself, but who wants to or has the time to do that!).